Oh. My. Gracious. How is it possible to be so in love with someone you just met? How can my heart POSSIBLY hold this much love and pride and joy? This sweet baby is the most precious gift from God and I am in awe and wonder. I am happy and content. I am anxious yet hopeful. I am overwhelmed and grateful. I am all these things... but mostly, I am BLESSED. Motherhood is amazing. Everyone always says that but now I know what all this fuss is about.
Bennett Hayes Goff entered the world on October 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm. On Thursday night, Sept. 29th, I began having contractions during Grey's Anatomy. They weren't really all that regular so I didn't really think anything about it. About 2:00 that morning, I woke up to get in the tub. These were definite contractions every ten minutes! About 5:00 am, I got in the shower to try to get some relief. They were still 9-10 minutes apart so I sent Jonathan on to work. I had contractions all day Friday and by Friday afternoon, they were about 7 minutes a part. My parents came over and we had some Mig's while my contractions continued. Jonathan went to bed about 10:30 because he had to work Saturday morning and I sat up to watch TV. About 11: 15 pm, my contractions were every 5-6 minutes and becoming more painful. I called the nurse on call at the hospital and she suggested we come in to get checked out. We arrived at the hospital about midnight and were taken up to labor and delivery. I was at 2 centimeters and my contractions were every 2-3 minutes apart. The nurse told us to walk for an hour and come back to the room. At 2:15 am, they checked again and we were at 3 centimeters. They decided to start things rolling so we could have a baby! I was progressing very slowly so they started some pitocin and at 6:00 am, Dr. Ericson came in and broke my water. I had an epidural at 7:30 am... Ahhhhhh. Family began coming that morning in and out just to check on things. We initially thought we would have a baby after lunch... Um... not so much. Baby Bennett decided he wanted to hang out just a bit longer... okay, a LOT longer. Jonathan and our families watched the Clemson game as I labored intensely through the afternoon and evening. At 9:15pm, I was at 9 centimeters but Dr. Dixon thought I should be okay to begin pushing in a short amount of time. My pitocin and epidural were dialed down a bit so I could feel the contractions to push. As she was checking me, Bennett decided to have heart decels during contractions. His heartrate would run about 140-150 and a contraction would take it down to 80. She immediately said, "We have to get him out now! We can't wait. We need an O.R. stat!" The brakes were taken off the bed, Jonathan was thrown a suit, and people went running. We were on our way to the operating room for an emergency c-section! I was terrified... not only about the surgery, I was so scared something would go wrong with our precious baby. My mind was racing and I just kept praying that God would watch over us and that everything would be okay. The anesthesiologist came in to pump me full of medicines again. My c-section was begun before Jonathan even got to the operating room. Finally, Jonathan came in to hold my hand as we awaited Bennett's birth. Bennett had already started to decend into my pelvis and he was also wedged in my rib cage at an awkward angle. Jonathan said there was a nurse on top of me putting all of her weight on my ribs to get him unstuck. I felt horrible pain and pressure from all of the pulling and tugging. My incision had to be enlarged to get him out. They used suction on him several times and it popped three times. He was stuck. Finally, they got him out and he cried very weakly. He had aspirated amniotic fluid and had to be suctioned. The nurses and a PEDS doctor were in the corner working on him and whispering. Jonathan and I didn't know what was going on. I asked the anesthesiologist if he was okay and she said he was fine but was having some trouble breathing. Finally, we heard him cry nice and loud! As they were closing me up, they brought him to Jonathan. He was beautiful! The feeling was incredible- seeing this little person that was part of us. Watching Jonathan hold this perfect baby boy. He was ours and he was okay! God is so good! Jonathan went with Bennett to recovery. They wheeled X-Ray in. Apparently in emergency c-sections, they don't have time to count instruments before they start. An X-Ray is done to make sure nothing was left inside. Nice. Luckily, all the parts made their way out! I was wheeled to recovery. I had to stay for an hour and Bennett had to stay for two. Luckily, they let Jonathan and I stay with him for the full two hours. He got a bath, was weighed and measured, and nursed. Baby Bennett weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces and was 21 inches long! Jonathan took a picture to show our families who were dying for an update. After our recovery time was over, we got to take him to meet everyone! Everything happened so quickly and was not exactly what we had planned... but I have heard it said before, "When we make plans, God laughs." This is so true. HE knew exactly how our baby boy would get here. Thanks be to God for this gift of ours. I am one blessed girl!
We stayed in the hospital enjoying our new baby and our visitors. The care we received there was wonderful. All of the doctors and nurses were great but we were anxious to get home. We were originally expected to be discharged on Tuesday, Oct. 4.... BUT Dr. Beaudrot (Bless him!) came around Monday and asked if we wanted to go home. Oh YES! We made it home about 3:00 on Monday after a quick visit with Aunt Marcie.
This sweet babe has changed our life so much. We sit at home in the evenings just looking at him. Jonathan comments everyday how much he has changed in just that one day. My belly is all stretched out and scarred up. My belly button will never be the same. I have war wounds, dog gone it, but I am PROUD of them. I have joined the society of women proud to call themselves Mommy. It is a wonderful club to join. I am loving what I am doing but I couldn't do it without all of the love and support we have gotten. First of all, Jonathan has been AMAZING. He has been so hands-on and changes diapers, fixes bottles, burps Bennett, holds him while I pump, etc. He does it all. I have never been more in love with him. Having a baby has changed our relationship. We have always had a great friendship and marriage but this is just incredible. He is my partner in every sense of the word. We are doing this together... it is a great feeling to share this with him. Our parents have also been wonderful! My mama has cooked our meals and picked up stuff at the store for us and driven me to Bennett's weight check. It's so good to have family we can count on!
Speaking of Bennett's weight check...
Birth Weight (October 1): 7 lbs. 5 oz.
Discharge Weight (October 3): 7 lbs. 1 oz.
First weight check (October 4): 7 lbs.
Recheck (October 6): 7 lbs. 5 oz.
This Momma was worried because I have been nursing, pumping, and supplementing and worried that he isn't getting what he needs. These weight checks made me feel so much better that I was doing a good job! Whew!
Our first week has been crazy busy but we are making it! We are exhausted but he is SO worth it!
Things haven't slowed down at all. I will update the rest of our week a little later!
 |
| Finally... Going home! |
Yay for the pictures and birth story!! I can't wait to see all of you! =) He is adorable and you look beautiful!
ReplyDeleteJillian and Jonathan,baby Bennett is beautiful!!!!It is so completely amazing the love that comes with that little one. It can't be explained, you have to experience it! Congratulations to you and all the family. I hope your recovery will be speedy. May God continue to bless you! Love,"Mama Lisa"
ReplyDelete