Monday, March 18, 2019

August 2018 Catch Up


So, I will start by saying that I am LEGIT terrified of birds... but... I thought I would be an amazing chicken mama. I thought wrong. I am not a stellar chicken mama. I am scared of them and their flapping and wings and beaks and feet. When they were little, I would touch them but there was no cuddling going on. Our journey began on the internet. We found a guy we knew selling a rabbit hutch that painted and revamped and transformed into a pretty boutique chicken coop. Step two was ordering our chicks. I talked my cousin into taking have of our brood. Apparently minimum orders are 10. They send 12 just in case something happens in transit. Just my luck. All 12 survived and our flock was 12 strong right off the bat. The post office called three days after I placed our order. Our chicken babies were waiting on us to come pick them up. Bennett was the most enthusiastic about our chicken additions. We picked up all 12 brand new, three day old chicks in a 12"x12" box. 

We got them home and into their new humble abode. Apparently these things have to be kept warm and inside for a few weeks. Hmmm. Can you tell who is completely excited and who is a little apprehensive??


Kayla came to pick up her half of the flock that same day. Then there were six... Holden finally warmed up a little to them. He named his two Bob and Nicholas. I named two Hazel and Annie. Bennett named his Yellowie and Telly. Anything Holden has is Bob and Nicholas (i.e. hermit crabs, etc.) I am willing to bet my grandchildren's names may be a variation of some sort if his wife lets him have any say.


Even though summer was winding down by this point in August, we were still soaking in every single second of our carefree days. We went to the lake with our crew and had so much fun!!











We celebrated Greyson's birthday with a NERF party. Both boys loved this!


We spent the week before school started at the State Park camping. We fished...


and went for boat rides...




and played in the water.


A few days before school started, I took the boys for our annual tradition of Chuck E. Cheese before school started. We had a blast, as usual.


 

We also picked up some soccer swag for the upcoming soccer season and a new bookbag. Clearly, I am getting soft in my old age because this is the first character bookbag that has made it to our house.


I spent that evening getting everything all monogrammed and ready for their big day.


And just like that... summer was over and the first day of school was upon us! Their bags were packed, boards were made, and teacher gifts were ready for their first day.


They woke up so excited for their first day of school. They even made my mama heart happy by posing for the obligatory first day pics. 








They had a wonderful first day. It wore Holden slap out. Here he is taking a nap in the car on the way to get Bennett and then doing his first "homework" assignment for Mrs. Summer's class.


This picture was taken on day two of school. He he. School makes him a tired baby!


August found us outside as much as our school schedule would allow. These two played with these chickens constantly. They finally moved outside by the end of August... the chickens, not the boys. :)


They loaded up and hauled various vehicles all over the yard.



I stole this pic from the school website. Bennett and his friends had their picture made for completing the Summer Reading Challenge from the town library.








No comments:

Post a Comment