Last Saturday morning, we packed up the camper and headed to Stone Mountain, Georgia for a few days. I had been telling B that we were going to the mountains. I didn't realize that we weren't really in "The Mountains" and that Stone Mountain was the only Mountain there. Oops! Anywho... The boys did FABULOUSLY on the way down there! Thank goodness! It poured down rain before we left Ninety Six. Luckily, it stopped and the sun came out so we could set up. Then, the rain started again but tapered off just in time for the laser show. I was a little nervous considering it didn't start until 8:00pm and Holden's bedtime is usually 7:30-8:00. He did great though... so did B.
The laser show was super cool and Bennett really enjoyed it especially the HUGE balls of fire :) I was pretty impressed with it myself.
On Sunday morning, we had a late breakfast and headed out to Stone Mountain Park for the Pumpkin Festival. Again, super impressed. It was a lot of fun and we didn't even get to see everything.
Here are Bennett, Elsa, and Olaf :)
My sweet babies
Our little family of four-- my heart!
A picture of Stone Mountain. This was pretty fascinating. It looks small from the ground but it's massive from the SkyRide.
I love this picture!
This carrier was a lifesaver. I picked it up for $10 at a consignment sale. Holden loved it and took two naps in it at the park. SCORE!
This view-- I ALMOST missed it. Since a sketchy tour bus ride in Mexico on our honeymoon, I have become very claustrophobic. I can't sit in the middle seat in a car or on the inside of a booth. When I saw the SkyRide in the air and saw the 80 people getting off and on of each, I was going to stay behind with Holden and let the rest of the family go. Jonathan asked the lady how long the trip was... THREE MINUTES. I decided to whisper a prayer, take a deep breath and a spot next to the door... and we were on our way.
It wasn't that bad as long as I didn't think about what was actually happening. There were 80+ people in a box suspended in the air on the side of a mountain by a cable that was, according to the information on the ride, 1.94" in diameter. No, not terrifying at all! Oh, and did I mention that you hang on to these little straps in the ceiling and you have to stand up if you don't happen to get a bench on the outside edge?? I digress...
Anywho... we got to the top and decided to get some snacks to eat at the top of the mountain. Folks, God is good and his creation??? Well, it's breathtaking. I'm so glad I didn't miss out.
This boy and his popcorn. He is on a kick where he doesn't like the "paper" on the seeds in the middle of the popcorn. He picks it out and only eats the puffy popped part.
Three generations of Goff men
The loves of my life.
Papa G, Gram, and the boys
The boys on the top of the mountain. Bennett became a little too confident in baby brother's ability to sit unassisted.
A random tree on the mountain.
After we came back down, we decided to ride the train-- but not before visiting the gift shop.. Bennett had done an awesome job that particular day so Jonathan told him he could pick out one thing. He does... a $15 train set. Jonathan puts it back and tries to sway him toward some cool guns instead and get out of spending $15 on a toy. His idea worked... and we left with the guns... that only cost $20. Next time, I bet Jonathan will check the price tag before swaying B a different direction :)
Back to the train-- it was a pretty boring ride. There wasn't anything to see but trees and rocks but it was nice to sit down and not have a 20 pound kid strapped to my chest.
A little family picture before we started...
I LOVE this picture of my babies...
The ride was just enough to put this boy to sleep. :)
After we got back to the camper and ate supper, we built a campfire and made some smores. This boy LOVES a campfire.
On Monday, we didn't do too much. Bennett played with his new "frands". This was a big deal for me. It made my mommy heart soar. Bennett has been known to be pretty timid-- even around family. It takes him a bit to get warmed up. This was different. He started riding his bike on Saturday when we got there and just kind of stared the other kids down. By Monday, he was riding with them and offering them popcicles. He was talking to them and interacting with them on his own. He was confident and self-assured. I was so proud. He even said that playing with them was the best thing about that day. I would love to keep him in a bubble and help him navigate life-- especially the tough stuff. I would love to help him make friends and keep them, make good choices, and stay safe. I can do that... but sometimes I have to do it from the sidelines and just cheer him on instead of doing it for him. He went up to these kids all on his own. He didn't need me to do it for him-- and he did just fine. I was PEERING from the windows and around the camper the entire time, mind you, but I was so happy that he has blossomed before my eyes!
Later that day, Jonathan rented a rowboat. Bennett was a little upset that he didn't have a kayak like Kensie and Ashton. He he! I stayed with H while he napped. Jonathan said B loved it!
After the boat adventure, we went out exploring just to order pizza and head back to our camper. B got his boat and headed to the stream to play.
My kid hacked our selfie :) His face... no, he isn't crying.
We had so much fun making memories with each other. I may have even enjoyed camping... just a little :)

No comments:
Post a Comment