Whew!! The Christmas season came and went SO quickly this year... such is life I guess. It gets faster and faster. This year was so much fun. I guess it was because B just got so stinkin' excited about everything and was really into our traditions! We started on December 15th with some sickness. Mama got the "yuck" which we later came to think was the flu! Then my dad got it, and then I got it. I have never felt so wiped out! I even had to call Jonathan to come home from work at lunch because I was STRUGGLING. I haven't ever done that before! The Saturday before Christmas, my cousins had their annual Christmas party. I still wasn't feeling all that great and was pretty exhausted. Jonathan went on. B and I had a quick dinner date at Las Cas and then he wanted to put together his gingerbread train... so that's what we did.
He helped with this and did a pretty good job! I am a little OCD so I had to take a deep breath and just let him do his thing! His face was so worth it!
On Tuesday, my family all came in to mama's. As is our tradition we started last year, we made some ornaments, made a little reindeer food, and baked some cupcakes for Jesus' birthday!
Please note the Spiderman outfit. He insisted and in the grand scheme of things, who really cares?? I have come a long way! He he!
We took our annual trip to Mig's and made our way back to Mama's to open gifts. Bennett really got into opening gifts. We didn't have to help him the first time!
My sweet boy and I taking a time out for a picture.
On Christmas Eve, we headed to McCormick to Jonathan's grandparent's house. Each year we eat lunch and spend time together. This year, Jonathan's aunt had cute little Olafs for the kids to put together. Our boy LOVES an arts and crafts project!
When we got home, Bennett got started baking some cookies for Santa.
Then my daddy came over for soup and appetizers for our Christmas together.
I LOVE this picture of the two of them. Even though we don't see my daddy but once a month or so, Bennett is quite taken with him...and vice versa. It's a natural, easy relationship they have and for that I am smiling!
Later that night, B was TOO excited to sprinkle the reindeer food. He took this job VERY seriously! These are all action shots because he was sprinting around the yard. He actually got it in his eye as he was throwing it into the air and running through it. Please note: Bennett dresses himself these days when we are at home. This was one of his outfits of choice. :)
Bo Jingles taking a little ride on the Gingerbread Train! B has loved finding him this year and seeing what Bo has gotten into!
B poured Santa's milk ALL BY HIMSELF... hence the spill on the floor. He is on his belly because he had to sip some down before picking it up!
Santa's cookies and milk
Bennett's first ornament he made at school :)
Family picture right before we read the Birth of Jesus from Bennett's storybook Bible
Santa came!!!!
He was SO excited on Christmas morning!
Daddy found a note from Santa saying that one gift wouldn't fit down the chimney and had to be left on the porch.
B was in LOVE with this tractor. It's all we have heard about for quite some time!
After we saw what Santa brought, we went to my mama's then to granddaddy's for breakfast, and headed to Gram and Papa's. Santa left a table and chairs for Bennett's playroom at their house. He loved them! Please note the ChapStik ALL over his mouth. Bless. He got 10 tubes total for Christmas.
He also got skates. These have been interesting!
The aftermath.
Christmas night we went to my granddaddy's for Christmas. Here are B, Emma Kate, and Elliott. I am so thankful they have each other just like my cousins and I did... and still do!
We had so much fun with our traditions but also celebrating the REAL reason for the season, the BIRTH of Christ. Bennett knows the Christmas story and can tell what three gifts the wisemen brought. On Christmas night, we were in his room recapping the day and were reminding him that Christmas wasn't about Santa or the presents we got. Here is the conversation.
Me: "Santa is fun and the presents are fun but why do we celebrate Christmas?"
B: "Jesus'"
Me: "That's right. We celebrate Jesus'.....
B: "is coming back!!!" (this conversation is veering from the original lesson but still a teachable moment... I seize the moment to talk about the return of Christ! YESSS!)
Me: "Yep! He is doing that. He is coming back to take us to h---" (making the "h" sound to give him a hint)
B: "HOBBY LOBBY!"
Me: "Hobby Lobby is a great place but Jesus is coming back to take us to HEAVEN.) Sigh... LOL :)NEVER a dull moment!
No comments:
Post a Comment