Thursday, April 9, 2015

Holden's Birth Story Part 1

Anyone that has spent any time with me these past few months knows that my BIGGEST fear was balancing two kids and not neglecting Bennett. I was also worried that I wouldn't feel the same way about Holden or that B would be jealous. I decided that March 27 would be my last day at school. I wanted the week to spend with Bennett and I had doctor's appointments and last minute details to finish. Bennett had his Easter Egg hunt at school and I had pre-op, so after I got done at the hospital, I called Jonathan. We decided to surprise B with a lunch date. I text his teacher and said that I was on my way and not to let him eat lunch. When I got there, he was hysterical. He thought he wasn't going to get to eat that day. He kept saying, "But I'm so hungry!" It was pitiful! I then explained our plan. He he! Here we are at Zaxby's... our last lunch as a family of three!

That night, I bawled like a baby. I was overwhelmed at everything that was about to happen. I snuggled with B extra tight, I got everything packed, I made notes and instructions for the weekend, I cried and cried as I kissed B goodnight, I made a red velvet cake (belated birthday cake for Jonathan), I cleaned and cleaned, I got caught up on DVR. Can you tell I was JACKED up??? I finally went to sleep about 12:45am only to get back up at 4:00am. Before I went to sleep, I took this pic of my sleeping only child... who would be a big brother in a few short hours!

We left our house at 5:00am and got checked in about 5:30am. Here we are before things got rolling!

The nurse came in to start my IV... rolled a vein. This resulted in me about passing out. She got another nurse, she hits a valve and I start bleeding like crazy. No go. Nurse number three comes in, taps around... leaves. During this time the anesthesiologist comes in to discuss anesthesia options. Apparently my platelets were even lower than last check SO that meant that depending upon who was in my surgery, I would either have general anesthesia and be put under or I would have the spinal. It would be up to the anesthesiologist in surgery. That made me super nervous! She then explained that with the pain meds they would use, 50% of patients experience nausea and vomiting and 50% experience severe itching! I signed the paperwork to get started...

Meanwhile, the three nurses that had been involved in the IV fiasco came in as well as Dr. Beaudrot. The anesthesiologist ended up getting my IV in pretty painlessly. At this point, I am just praying things go a little more smoothly than the IV... I mean, we were only getting started...
A quick selfie before surgery-- This man is my ROCK. He was so great at calming my nerves and my spirit and making sure that I was okay. I am so thankful for him!

I was wheeled into the OR to start my spinal. Apparently this was easier said than done. When I still wasn't numb 10 minutes later, they reclined me at an angle so the medicine would travel up my spine. Finally, after a while, I could no longer feel Dr. Beaudrot's test pinches so they started surgery. This surgery was a lot more laid back than Bennett's but also seemed a lot "tougher". Things move so fast in an emergency. This time, time drug by! The doctors were talking about "The Walking Dead" and carrying on a conversation. Jonathan kept checking on me because he could SEE everything they were doing. 

Then, at 7:56am, we heard our boy's first cry...

Holden Ellis arrived on the scene at 7:56am weighing in at 7lbs. 15 oz. and 21.25" long. He was PERFECT. I cried, of course, and my heart LITERALLY felt like it could burst. The feeling was instantaneous. Everything I had worried about didn't matter... I LOVED this perfect little person already and there was room in my heart for him already. It is such a hard thing to explain. Mommas told me it would happen but I just didn't see how that was possible... but, OH... it's possible.


Getting his first bath in recovery-- he was not a fan.

We stayed in recovery for a bit then it was time to go meet everyone. We had a photographer come in to take some pictures of Holden and Bennett and our families. We wanted B to see Holden first so Jonathan text our families to tell them we were on our way...
Looking like Bennett here! It's crazy!
My heart could burst!

Bennett was all about checking out baby brother's feet! 

Our first official picture as a family of four!

Bennett's first time seeing Holden. The hospital bed overwhelmed him but it wasn't long and he warmed up! 

We invited everyone in after a few minutes to meet our newest addition. A few minutes in, and during a whole family picture, I began vomiting. OF COURSE I would be in the 50%... I also got the itching! Fantastic!

This picture I added because his face makes me smile! When we left Friday morning, I left this flag for Bennett to hang up before he left! My mother in law sent us this picture as we were in the recovery room!

Stay tuned for Part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment